Please Note: This is a guest post by my good friends Arif & Ali Vakil from Arif & Ali’s Blog
What makes us Happy?
Is it a new car? A job promotion? A new house? Does our Happiness depend on external factors? Do we wait for someone or something to make us happy? Many of us think that “If I had so and so… I would be Happy”. “If my partner would behave in a certain way … I would be Happy” Depending on external factors to make us Happy gives us only short term Happiness, till the time we start craving or the next thing or event to make us Happy.
Is it possible for us to be Happy for No reason?
If we are Happy for No Reason, then we can get Happy independant of what happens outside us. So how does one become Happy for no Reason? The answer lies in the question “Who am I?” If we identify ourselves to objects around us, then our happiness will be subject to these objects, but if we identify ourselves with our Soul then we can be happy for no reason.
Here’s a small test you can do to know how much you’ve identified with your soul. Imagine the following events come true for you, ask yourself how do you feel:
- When the stock market goes down, and you’ve lost money
- When the lawyer calls you to say that you’ve lost the case
- When the boss calls you to say you’re fired
Do these events disturb your inner peace? If you’ve identified with your soul, your inner peace will remain because you will know that it does not matter to the soul if the stock market goes up or down. You understand that nothing in the world is permanent neither money, nor our jobs. Knowing that it is in the nature of external world to change, you will be able to maintain you inner peace. But if you’re identified with your self-image (example: being a rich stock market trader), and when that self-image comes under threat it will immediately disturb your inner peace.
Here are 6 things you can do, to identify with your innerself:
- Spend time in prayer and meditation
- Trust in a Higher Power. Know that your mind and intelligence is limited, and you have to surrender to the higher power by avoiding resistance to the present moment.
- Do not react immediately to your thoughts. Instead become aware of them, and make conscious decisions how you wish to respond to a situation.
- Become aware of the changing nature of the physical world. Observe how things come and go, and that nothing is eternal.
- Accept Responsibility of your present state. Know that if you want to bring a change to the world you have to start with yourself, because the world is a reflection of our inner state of consciousness.
- Know the difference between your “Life” and “Life Situation”. You are “Life” itself, and not your “Life Situation”. For example instead of saying “I am sad”, say “I have feeling of sadness”. This change of vocabulary will help you disidentify from your “Life Situation”.
The more we begin to identify ourselves with the soul, the more we will realize that Happiness is not something that happens to us, but it is a state of mind that we can choose to have. We will then be able to be Happy for No reason.
Now its your turn….Do you know how to be happy for no reason? Or are you still looking for some external reason to be happy? Please share your thoughts in the comments.
Arif & Ali Vakil are brothers based in Bangalore India. They run their a Real Estate firm Vakil Housing. The brothers share their thoughts on spirituality, productivity & life on their personal Blog . Recently they’ve started a series of Web Comics called Sufi Comics. For the latest updates on their Blog, subscribe to their RSS & Twitter Feeds.
Special Note: Want to guest post for “Positive Provocations”? If anyone is interested please contact me and we can discuss.