Fasting is an act of cleansing. Cleansing the body, cleansing the mind, cleansing the heart, cleansing the Soul…..cleansing your complete being from all the negativity that we carry within.
As I blur out the outside world and dwell within this month, I would like to share with you what the Holy month of Ramadan and Fasting truly mean to me.
Having studied almost every religion under the sun, I know for a fact that every community, every faith has a form of fasting embedded within their system. Fasting that is meant to inculcate spiritual growth.
16 Reasons Why Fasting is Spiritually and Physically Beneficial
Here are some in depth words by highly eminent beings, that will give you an idea as to how I see fasting as a means for spiritual and physical growth. Their words as they are, are far better than my own in explaining this beautiful act of cleansing the soul.
1) The Prophet(pbuh)said: Whoever spends more time praising and worshipping God and spends less time eating, drinking and sleeping is more eagerly welcomed by the divine angels. (Mizan al Hikmat, v1, p 116)
2) Imam Ali(a.s) said: Eating light meals, and nobility are more lasting for our health. When God the Glorious wishes the well being of His servant, He shall inspire him/her to talk less, to eat less and to sleep less .
3) There is an unseen sweetness in the stomach’s emptiness! Man is like a lute, neither more nor less: When the lute’s stomach is full, it cannot lament, whether high or low. If your brain and stomach burn from fasting, their fire will draw constant lamentation from your breast. Through that fire you will burn a thousand veils at every instant–you will ascend a thousand degrees on the Way and in your aspiration. [Rumi, Divan: Ghazal 1739].
4) When satiated by food and drink, an unsightly metal statue is seated where your spirit should be. When fasting, good habits gather like helpful friends. [Rumi, Divan: Ghazal 1739]
5) O people! A month [Ramadan] has approached you laden with blessing, mercy and forgiveness; it is a month which Almighty Allah regards as the best of all months. Its days, in the sight of Almighty Allah, are the best of days, its nights are the best of nights, its hours are the best of hours. It is a month in which you are invited to be the guests of Almighty Allah and you are regarded during it as worthy of enjoying Almighty Allah’s generosity. Your breathing in it is regarded as praising Almighty Allah and your sleep as adoration, and your voluntary acts of worship are accepted, and your pleas are answered. [Prophet Mohammed’s(pbuh) Sermon on the Month of Ramadan.]
6) Fasting kills the desire of the self and the appetite of greed, and from it comes purity of the heart, purification of the limbs, cultivation of the inner and the outer being, thankfulness for blessings, charity to the poor, increase of humble supplication, humility, weeping and most of the ways of seeking refuge in God; and it is the reason for the breaking of aspiration, the lightening of evil things, and the redoubling of good deeds. It contains benefits which cannot be counted. It is enough that we mention some of them to the person who understands and is given success in making use of fasting, if God wills. [Imam Ja’far Al-Sadiq, The Lantern of the Path, Fasting].
7) I fast for greater physical and mental efficiency. [Plato]
8) He who buries his head deep into a nosebag full of food cannot hope to see the invisible world. [Al-Ghazali]
9) Fasting is the first principle of medicine; fast and see the strength of the spirit reveal itself. [Rumi]
10) The light of the world will illuminate within you when you fast and purify yourself. [Mahatma Gandhi]
11) [W]hen the faculties are empty, then your whole being listens. [Thomas Merton]
12) To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals. [Benjamin Franklin]
13) Fasting blinds the body in order to open the eyes of your soul.[Rumi]
14) Fasting strengthens control over our appetites, thus contributing to self-mastery. [George Romney]
15) If you want to ascend like the Prophet to the sky of immortality, know this very well: Fasting is your Arabian stallion. [Rumi]
16) Every one has a doctor in him; we just have to help him in his work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. To eat when you are sick, is to feed your sickness. [Hippocrates]
I am sure you see the immense wisdom in the above words as do I.
Fasting of any kind has its spiritual benefits. We just need to make up our mind and hearts to nurture our soul relentlessly as we do our bodies.
Thank you for stopping by and may this Holy month of Ramadan shower its blessings on you too.
A Special request: If it feels right to your heart, I would appreciate if you said a small prayer for me and my loved ones. Thank you!
Thank you SO much for being here today! If you’re new here, please subscribe for free updates by email(with Positive Happiness Goodies). And, if this article touched your heart, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social networks. Every share, like or tweet makes me reach more people who need a positive healing nudge in their lives. I appreciate you!
For Online Counseling with me please CLICK HERE!
With Immense Love & Gratitude,
Other Positive articles you will love:
- How and Why you NEED to Surround Yourself with Positive People
- BEING LOVE by Dr. Debra L. Reble ~ Book Review and Author Interview #BeingLOVE
- Instant Happiness, Connectedness and 7 Years of Positive Provocations
- Life Lessons from 9 years of Motherhood ~ Happy Mothers Day!
- 11 Simple Ways to Stay Forever Young